Wednesday, March 7, 2007

To pay or not to pay

Earlier, a friend mentioned that he wanted to organise a model photo-shoot on board a vessel, the cost was going to come up to something significant definitely. My friend had earlier asked me to get people to help, which - of course, I had already in mind who to call along for the shoot. Steady, friend ask for help. I do it.

The thing is this, they are helpers, going to help out in the event (no renumeration from NSG or the organiser or whatever). My friends are pretty steady, because they just like me - want to go participate, have fun and fellowship. CuteOne, GadGitz, SimpleOne, were a few among those I asked to go and help out. They all readily agreed being the close-knit bunch we are.

However, the costs seem too much to be covered by the shooting participants alone, sponsorship wasn't enough to cover everything, even lunch sponsor by NSG wasn't enough. My friend thereby suggested that all the helpers fork out $30 in contribution to the event.

Needless to say, I of course strongly objected, if you want people to work for free, it's ok, we all don't mind because of the word - friends. We don't get appreciated, nevermind, we just want to gather, have fun and enjoy ourselves.

According to the FatOne, he disagrees, he thinks it's all right for the helpers to fork out the $30 in contribution to the event as they are there to eat, drink lunch and to enjoy themselves. He thinks $30 is not too much to ask for.

I stand by my friends, so strongly that I vehemently objected to my friends having to contribute to the event monetary wise. They've already volunteered to contribute their time/effort from their only precious 2 days weekends to help out. I don't think nor see the need for the $30 contribution. That is, unless, the helpers are participating in the shoot. But as usual, I see them running about - GadGitz - event photographer, CuteOne/SimpleOne - logistics, crowd control etc.

I leave you all to agree/disagree on this.

No comments: