Friday, March 23, 2007

Flaunting of Wealth/Status

It doesn't seem to amaze me that till now, nobody - and I mean NOBODY, is impressed or awed by the way the FatOne flaunts his statuses and wealth.

Just on wednesday, SimpleOne got a call from the FatOne to join him for a FS session. Just when SimpleOne's reaching, he called the FatOne to check his location, and after chatting SimpleOne agreed to to meet him at T5, the FatOne asked a very funny question, one that doesn't need to be asked.

"You can go into T5 or not?"

Now, this is a very funny question, it has been a long time since we started FSing at T5, and riding on K's face we've already been quite well known at the area(s) there, the waiter/ress knows us, the bouncers knows us, even the owner(s) of the clubs knows us by now. We've been able to enter T5 without paying cover charge for a long time.

I really wondered what made the FatOne think this way, then I found out...

We reached T5 and I told one of the regular waiter that I wanted a bottle of Black Label opened, after handing him my credit card (nothing to wow here, just a normal card :P). As he passed me the bill, which was 20% discounted for members, he informed me that his boss is controlling discounts, which was only for members, and also controlling mixture flow etc. He also told me that the FatOne has already signed up for the membership at T5.

At a thousand or so dollars membership, you'll get:

- 5 bottles of drinks
- Usage of members lounge
- Usage of couches
- Free flow of mixtures

In short, the waiter was trying to get me signed up as a member, but what for? Why would I need this useless membership? If he can't give me the discount, I can always go other clubs. When I got my bottle card back after I finished my drink, the card was labeled "2 guests only" whereas it was printed at the bottom - "4 guests entry". To me it doesn't matter, I don't bring guests in anyway. SimpleOne can enter on his own, so can I, the membership idea is worthless to us, totally.

What use would I have to pay upfront for this 5 bottles of liquor to use an empty area with no crowd to mingle with, no girls to see? T5 is not a prestige club that warrants the "wow" factor of membership. In short, being a member there is stupid. Obviously, the FatOne sees it as otherwise. You go to FS at T5, is not to go the member's lounge to chat.

A clear showcase of flaunting his new founded status/wealth, he asked SimpleOne if he can enter, if not he will bring him in as a guest. The question of SimpleOne able to enter or not was his first step to announce his new found status if SimpleOne replied "no".

The 2nd flaunt came when the FatOne took the Ah-Neh up to the member's lounge in the excuse of it's too warm at the bar counter, the aircon is better at the member's lounge.

I'm just so amused by the FatOne's actions if he thinks that by doing all these we will look up to him and be wow'ed by his newfound status? We were totally amused, not wowed. LoL.


Till today, he obviously doesn't get it that - wealth flaunting, status throwing is not going to get him any respect. Till date, he is the only person I know who steps inside the member's lounge at the club, the member's area there is normally a ghost town. The aircon was just an excuse for him to show us he can enter.


Just for the record, we've already been inside the members' lounge, ate, seated, drink and made merry way before he even entered there. And we aren't members.

What's the purpose of trying to be exclusive? Oops sorry, I mean excluded from the group :P

No comments: